Steven is a Partner in Morrison Cohen’s Corporate Department where his diverse practice focuses on mergers and acquisitions, private equity, venture capital, private investment funds, and emerging company representation.
Steven regularly represents private equity funds and their portfolio companies in a wide range of transactions, including mergers and acquisitions, leveraged buyouts, and preferred equity investments. Steven is also active in the private investment fund area, representing both financial sponsors and institutions in fund formation transactions, secondary transactions, and co-investments. Steven also advises early and growth stage companies and investors in venture and growth capital financings and serves as outside general counsel to emerging growth and established operating companies.
Steven initially joined Morrison Cohen in 1997 after having practiced for five years in the Financial Institution M&A group of Skadden Arps. After a year at Morrison Cohen, Steven joined Vantas, Inc., a privately held international office services company and a client of the Firm, as General Counsel. Following the sale of Vantas, Steven was hired as SVP of Legal Affairs and Business Development of LiveAdvice, a venture backed internet company, where he played an instrumental role in negotiating major strategic partnerships, equity financings as well as the sale of the company. Following the sale of LiveAdvice, Steven returned to Morrison Cohen in 2003.
American Bar Association
New York State Bar Association
Private Equity Investments, Mergers & Acquisitions, & Venture Capital
- North Castle Partners in its acquisition of Atkins Nutritional, a leading weight-management company, and its sale of Atkins to Roark Capital.
- MidOcean Partners in its acquisition of Global Knowledge Training, an international business to business provider of IT and business training
- Prism Business Media, a business to business media company owned by Wasserstein & Co. and MidOcean Partners, in its acquisition of publicly-held Penton Media.
- Founders Equity in its acquisition of Advantedge Healthcare Solutions, a medical billing services and practice management company
- North Castle Partners in its acquisition of Flatout Inc., a consumer products company specializing in flatbreads and related products.
- Perseus in its acquisition of Workflow Management, a publicly held document management company.
- DFJ Gotham in connection with its equity investments in ContextWeb, Searchendise, Single Platform and Widetronix.
Welsh Carson Anderson & Stowe in its acquisition of Ruesch Holding, a foreign currency exchange company.
Private Investment Funds
- Private equity group of Goldman Sachs in connection with equity co-investments and secondary transactions.
- JPMorgan Asset Management in connection with private investment fund investments, secondary transactions and equity co-investments.
- Citic Capital Partners in its formation of a technology focused private equity fund.
- Atlantic Street Capital in its formation of middle market buyout funds.
Corporate Governance/Emerging Companies
- Outside corporate counsel to companies including Dining Entertainment Group (Brother Jimmy’s BBQ), Ology Media, and American Bureau of Shipping.