Shruti is an Associate in Morrison Cohen’s Intellectual Property Group and Corporate Department.
Shruti began her career as an Associate with a full service law firm in Mumbai, India focusing on Intellectual Property and Corporate law. Prior to joining Morrison Cohen, Shruti also worked at a social enterprise start-up with a focus on devising solutions to complex legal and business issues, and with a civil society non-governmental organization leading policy and advocacy efforts for the organization at the United Nations.
Shruti was selected as a Young Lawyer Fellow to the American Bar Association Section of Intellectual Property Law (ABA-IPL) in 2018-19 for a three-year term. She was recently appointed as Chair of the Young Lawyers Action Group and Vice-Chair of the Information Technology Committee of the ABA-IPL for the 2019-2020 association year. Shruti also serves as Co-Chair of the Privacy, Cybersecurity and Digital Rights Committee and Vice-Chair (Diversity) of the India Committee, both part of ABA’s Section of International Law, and as Chair of the Mentorship Program for the Asian American Bar Association of New York. Shruti routinely participates in speaking engagements and publishes articles which have addressed topics including intellectual property rights in India and the US, and data protection and privacy laws.
Since being admitted to practice in New York, Shruti has also provided pro-bono transactional and legal services to low-income entrepreneurs and start-ups through Volunteers of Legal Service. Shruti is fluent in Hindi.
New York State Bar Association
- IP Section Liaison, Executive Committee, Young Lawyers Section
American Bar Association
- Young Lawyer Fellow, Intellectual Property Law Section
- Member, Membership Board, Intellectual Property Law Section
- Chair, Young Lawyers Action Group, Intellectual Property Law Section
- Co-Chair, Privacy, Cybersecurity, & Digital Rights Committee, International Law Section
- Vice Chair, Information Technology Committee, Intellectual Property Law Section
- Vice Chair, Membership, International Law Section
- Vice-Chair, India Committee, International Law Section
Chair, Mentorship Committee, Asian American Bar Association of New York
News & Publications
- Moderator, “Landslide Webinar Series: Trademark Fair Use in the Digital World,” American Bar Association Webinar - Section of Intellectual Property Law, June 18, 2019
- Speaker, Breaking into Entertainment Law: Real Strategies for Young Lawyers and Law Students, ABA 9th Annual Miami Entertainment Law Symposium
- Speaker, Protecting Your Client’s IP in Asia: Basics and Best Practices, 2018 Napaba Northeast Regional Conference
- Speaker, Data Privacy & Employment Laws, Legal Era Conclave 2018
- "CLIENT ALERT - US-Based Organizations Must Prepare for Imminent Implementation of European General Data Protection Regulation", May 7, 2018
- Co-Author, “Echoing the Anti-Corruption Wave in India”, Corporate Counsel, December 14, 2017
- Author, “Networking Is Key in Distinguishing Yourself in Today’s Competitive Legal Marketplace”, NYSBA State Bar News, May – June 2017
- Author, “Embracing Pro Bono is Gratifying, but can be a Cultural Shift for Internationally Trained Lawyers”, NYSBA State Bar News, January – February 2017
- Author, “Doing Business in India: Are you complying with Data Protection and Privacy laws?”, American Bar Association Privacy, E-commerce & Data Security Committee Quarterly Newsletter, Summer 2016
- Author, “The UN Programme of Action on Small Arms and the Sustainable Development Goals - Reducing Armed Violence”, International Action Network on Small Arms, June 2016
- Co-Author, “Coming Full Circle: The relevance of arms control and disarmament instruments to Target 16.4 of the 2030 Agenda”, Control Arms and Nonviolence International, June 2016
- Co-Author, “Corporate Social Responsibility – A Culturally Driven Policy Initiative”, Legal Era, August 2014
- Co-Author, “Fictional Characters and Copyright Law”, Legal Era, May 2014
- Co-Author, “Big Data – Not Simple Analytics”, Geospatial World, November 2013
- Co-Author, “Is UID a Legally Sustainable Model”, Legal Era, July 2013