Alternative Dispute Resolution
Morrison Cohen’s Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) Practice Group is composed solely of experienced and senior attorneys who have substantial experience acting as neutrals in mediations, arbitrations, and other non-judicial forums to resolve conflicts out of court.
Morrison Cohen’s Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) Practice Groupis composed solely of experienced and senior attorneys who have substantial experience acting as neutrals in mediations, arbitrations, and other non-judicial forums to resolve conflicts out of court.
The team provides the following ADR/ADR-hybrid services:
- Traditional Mediation;
- Summary Trials/Mini Trials;
- Evaluation of appellate arguments and positions;
- Moot Court of pending matters in Appellate Divisions and Court of Appeals; and
- Private Appellate Tribunals to determine matters decided at nisi prius.
Federal and State Courts throughout the country are focused on increasing the speed and efficiency of the judicial process and are relying in ever expanding numbers on the use of compulsory or voluntary mediation of cases by trained private mediators in order to achieve those goals. Private parties, companies, individuals, and organizations are also recognizing that they can achieve significant time and cost savings by agreeing to privately mediate or arbitrate their disputes out of court before a neutral.
Members of the ADR Practice Group provide their services across a vast scope of practice areas and industries including: general and complex commercial and business cases; complex securitizations involving residential backed mortgage securities, lending, and finance; intellectual property disputes; contract, fraud, insurance, and real estate controversies; employment-related matters; high-end matrimonial disputes; and all aspects of bankruptcy cases including preference matters, plan, claim, guaranty, and interbank disputes.
At the forefront of our ADR Practice Group is The Honorable David B. Saxe (Ret.), who served on the New York State Judiciary for 35 years, including 19 years as an Associate Justice, Appellate Division, First Department before joining the firm. Whether serving as mediator or consultant to legal teams, the depth and breadth of his experience as a distinguished jurist and before that as a seasoned attorney allow him to provide deep, impartial and meaningful solutions.
During his judicial career, Judge Saxe presided over and decided hundreds of non-jury trials, and thousands of dispositive motions that are similar to arbitrating disputes. Judge Saxe’s unique qualifications enable the ADR Practice Group to offer mini-trials, private judging, and neutral evaluations of disputes and appellate arguments.
One or more members of our ADR Practice Group has been qualified by and appointed to the following judicial panels and are members of the following well-known national mediation or arbitration organizations, for which they regularly mediate or arbitrate disputes:
- Panel of Neutrals of the Alternative Dispute Resolution Program of the Commercial Division of the Supreme Court of the State of New York, County of New York
- United States District Court for the Southern District of New York Panel of Certified Mediators
- Mediation Panel of the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of New York
- Mediation Panel For Indemnification Claims of Lehman Brothers Holdings Inc. and Affiliated Debtors against Mortgage Loan Sellers
- Mediation Panel of the Bankruptcy Court for the District of Delaware
- Mediation Register of the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of New York
- Trademark Mediators Network (INTA Panel of Neutrals)
- Commercial Panel of the American Arbitration Association Roster of Neutrals