Jay is a partner in the Firm’s Business Litigation Department. He has represented businesses and individuals in federal and state court in all phases of litigation from the pleading stage through trial and appeals as well as in both arbitrations and mediations.
Jay’s practice includes all areas of civil litigation with a focus on complex commercial litigation, real estate litigation, contract and partnership disputes, litigation involving closely held businesses, and employment and securities matters. Jay also has extensive experience representing clients in a broad range of other matters including trusts and estate litigation, insurance related disputes, class actions, cases involving creditors’ rights, fraud cases, intellectual property matters, and out-of-court restructurings. He also regularly counsels clients in connection with litigation avoidance and non-litigation resolutions to disputes in an effort to promote business resolutions wherever practicable and in his clients’ interests.
Columbia University School of Law
Member, Journal of Transnational Law
Finalist, Jerome Michael Jury Trials Moot Court Program
- Successfully obtained, with co-counsel, dismissal of antitrust and civil RICO claims in federal court on behalf of several preeminent national liquor distributors and producers.
- Obtained reversal on appeal of lower court decision awarding prevailing party in litigation attorneys’ fees based on contractual indemnification provision and denying attorneys’ fees to client in defending such claim, resulting in reversal of damages in the amount of over $1 million.
- Represented a prominent real estate developer in a partnership dispute in successfully defending against several motions by business partners and mezzanine lender for receivership and preliminary injunctions as well as in subsequent negotiations with creditors related to a global restructuring of its obligations to creditors and substantial property portfolio.
- Litigation in connection with the removal of managing members from limited liability companies for breaches of fiduciary obligations and other wrongful conduct.
- Litigation in connection with lease obligations, real estate brokerage commissions, and claims involving the return of multi-million dollar deposits and other wrongful conduct related to high-profile condominium and cooperative projects.
- Counsel to underwriter in one of the largest securities class action litigations in history involving all nearly all major underwriters of securities in the United States and claims in excess of $1 billion related to initial public offerings of securities. Handled negotiation of favorable settlement agreement for client.
- Successfully prosecuted and defended against claims for temporary restraining orders and injunctions related to the sale of real property.
- Litigation in connection with the enforcement of employee restrictive covenants and other employment arrangements.
- Obtained dismissal of fraud, tortious interference and discrimination claims against major airline.