Basil is an Associate in Morrison Cohen’s Compensation, Benefits & Employment and Business Litigation Departments. He has over a decade of experience defending a wide range of employers – from representing global financial institutions to technology starts-ups – in labor and employment-related claims and civil actions in federal and state courts, mediations and arbitrations, and before administrative agencies involving allegations of discrimination, retaliation, wrongful discharge, breach of contract, wage and hour violations (particularly with respect to the hospitality industry), restrictive covenants, workers’ compensation, and claims under, inter alia, Title VII, the Age Discrimination in Employment Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Fair Labor Standards Act, the Family and Medical Leave Act, the Sarbanes-Oxley Act, the New York State and City Human Rights Laws, and the Connecticut Fair Employment Practices Act. He also counsels individuals with respect to executive compensation-related matters.
Basil has handled arbitrations before FINRA for, among other claims, breach of contract and expungement of Form U5, as well as handling matters alleging discrimination pursuant to the New York State and City Human Rights Laws, breach of contract, fraudulent inducement, and New York Labor Law violations in all forums. Basil counsels management and individuals in these areas on a regular basis.
Basil also provides direct, client-facing advice and counsel regarding various labor and employment laws, workplace investigations, hiring and termination decisions, disciplinary actions, reductions in force, accommodations, workplace harassment, social media, privacy rights, family and medical leave, wage and hour compliance, exempt or non-exempt classification, and independent contractor designations. He also drafts and reviews personnel policies and employee handbooks, assists clients in the development and implementation of human resources policies, and develops and presents training programs on harassment, discrimination, and litigation prevention.
Prior to joining Morrison Cohen, Basil was Vice President & Assistant General Counsel at Cantor Fitzgerald, and Counsel at Day Pitney LLP.
News & Publications
- "CLIENT ALERT – All New York Employees Must Complete Sexual Harassment Prevention Training by Oct. 9, 2019", August 21, 2019
- "CLIENT ALERT – Recent Developments in New York Employment Law", August 19, 2019
- "CLIENT ALERT – Are Payroll Providers Really the Best Option to Protect Employers Against Wage Claims?", May 9, 2019
- "CLIENT ALERT – New York City’s New Lactation Room Laws Take Effect", March 22, 2019
- "CLIENT ALERT – DOL Releases Highly Anticipated Minimum Salary Threshold Rule", March 18, 2019
- "CLIENT ALERT – New York City Commission on Human Rights Releases Guidance on Race Discrimination on the Basis of Hair", March 12, 2019
- "CLIENT ALERT – New York Minimum Wage and Salary Thresholds Increase in 2019", January 2, 2019
- "How to Avoid Disaster at Your Company’s Holiday Party", Crain's New York Business, December 21, 2018
- "CLIENT ALERT – The U.S. Department of Labor Rescinds “80/20 Rule” for Tipped Employees under the Fair Labor Standards Act", November 15, 2018
- "CLIENT ALERT – Second Circuit Hears Argument on Whether All FLSA Settlements Require Court Approval", October 17, 2018
- "CLIENT ALERT – A Joint-Employment Refresher in the Wake of New Sexual Harassment Lawsuits and New NLRB Proposed Rulemaking", September 14, 2018
- "CLIENT ALERT – The Deadline for New York City Employers to Distribute Fact Sheet and Post Notice on Sexual Harassment Law is Today", September 6, 2018
- "CLIENT ALERT – The Deadline for New York Employers to Implement or Update Their Anti-Sexual Harassment Policies and Have Completed Mandatory Sexual Harassment Training is Fast Approaching", September 4, 2018
- "CLIENT ALERT – Bereavement Leave Newest Addition to New York’s Paid Family Leave Law", August 24, 2018
- "CLIENT ALERT – Summer Internship Season: Revisiting Whether Employers Must Pay Interns Regardless of the Time of Year", June 18, 2018
- "CLIENT ALERT – Supreme Court Upholds Waiver of Class and Collective Actions in Employment Arbitration Agreements", June 1, 2018
- "CLIENT ALERT – New Jersey Governor Signs Strict Equal Pay Bill for All Workers into Law", April 25, 2018
- "CLIENT ALERT – New York State and New York City Pass New Sexual Harassment Laws", April 23, 2018
- "CLIENT ALERT – U.S. Department of Labor Announces Self-Audit Amnesty Program to Address Wage and Hour Violations Prior to Litigation", April 13, 2018
- "CLIENT ALERT – What New York Employers Need to Know About the State’s New Paid Family Leave Law", February 7, 2018